What are Whole Food Vitamins?
Whole food vitamins are vitamins that have been extracted from concentrated whole foods. Most experts agree that getting your recommended nutrients from real food is best. However, in today’s fast-moving world, that can be difficult. Additionally, sourcing whole food vitamins and supplements is both costly and voluminous, which makes reaching most reasonable levels of Daily Values of critical nutrients per the FDA guidelines unattainable. Furthermore, even in today's whole food vitamins and minerals products, there are synthetic sources of nutrients used in combination. By regulation, a vitamin can be marketed as natural or whole food based as long as a mere 10% of its ingredients are from natural, plant-derived ingredients – the other 90% can be, and most times are, synthetically made in a laboratory.
Consequently, the term "whole food" is more of a marketing term than a scientific term. That doesn’t make getting your proper nutrients any less important.
Are most Whole Food Multivitamins on the market really all “Whole Food?”
No, given the cost and above mentioned complications of creating true whole food vitamins, the majority of multivitamins on the market are synthetic. There are many vitamin and supplement manufacturing companies that claim their products are closer to their food source, making them perhaps easier to absorb. The important thing to know, however, when choosing your vitamins and supplements, is which supplements and how much of each supplement your unique body needs.
Are Viome Precision Supplements Whole Food Supplements?
We have over 150 ingredients, many of which are whole food based, but there are some vitamins that are synthetic. Similarly, we have some ingredients that are organic. We source ingredients from many parts of the world, based upon where the individual plants (fruits, roots, seeds, etc.) are grown and cultivated.
All ingredients go through: organoleptic review and identification; purity testing; pesticide testing; heavy metal testing; and microbiological testing. Our quality management system rejects any ingredient that does not meet the above standards.
Are Whole Foods Vitamins better for you?
Most doctors and nutritionists would agree that it is best to get your nutrients from whole foods. However, that is not always possible. It is also very difficult to attain all of your FDA recommended nutrients strictly from whole food vitamins. At Viome we understand that. With the Precision Supplements plan, we start you out with our Health Intelligence test. This will test your current gut and cellular health to determine what foods are recommended for you, and what nutrients your body needs, and in what amount. We send you daily supplement and probiotic packs. As you add and remove certain foods from your diet, take your personalized supplements, and follow our recommendations, we may add and remove certain ingredients from your vitamin packs. You retest every six months (included), so we know how to best adjust to meet your body’s health needs.
Join over 200,000 customers using Viome.
Precision Supplements Complete with Viome’s
Health Intelligence™ Test
What are Natural Vitamins (Synthetic vs. Natural)?
Synthetic vitamins are manufactured artificially in a laboratory setting. Natural vitamins are nutrients extracted from whole foods. Precision Supplements contain mostly natural vitamins and supplements, but also a handful of synthetic ingredients.
The majority of supplements on the market are synthetic, including vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes, antioxidants, and more. They are designed to mimic the way natural ingredients act in our bodies. Typically, if the ingredients are listed individually, for example, vitamin C, vitamin D, or ascorbic acid, they are synthetic. If they are listed as a whole ingredient, like cranberry, ginger, or blueberry, the ingredients are likely natural.
Are Precision Supplements Non-GMO?
Yes, Precision Supplements are completely non-GMO. We do not use genetically modified ingredients to create your personalized vitamin formula.
Are Precision Supplements Hypo-Allergenic?
Precision Supplements are free from the 8 major allergens described by the FDA: milk, egg, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans. Additionally, they are made without common contaminants: no fillers, no magnesium stearate (or other stearates), no dioxides, and no flow agents. Viome Precision Supplements are manufactured in the United States.
Are they Dairy Free?
Yes, Precision Supplements are completely dairy free.
Are they gluten free?
Yes, Precision Supplements are gluten-free.
Are these Vegetarian Supplements?
Yes, Precision Supplements are vegetarian, and of the highest quality available. They cannot be considered completely vegan, however.